Job posting: Third Wave Foundation Office Manager
November 18, 2011
It’s an exciting time at Third Wave: we’re hiring! Third Wave is currently seeking a new office manager. See the job description below for details.
Working under the supervision of the Executive Director, the Office Manager is responsible for managing Third Wave’s day to day financial management, human resources, and operations work. The Office Manager is also responsible for supporting other departments through database management, budget management, event planning, and scheduling support.
Essential Job Functions
- Manages and executes the administrative work of the foundation, including (but not limited to) answering phones, assisting with photocopying and large mailings, answering general email inquiries, ordering supplies, and sorting mail.
- Liaises with outside vendors to order products and services, troubleshoot when problems arise, and maintain those relationships to ensure smooth operating of office systems.
- Plans and executes logistics of quarterly board meetings and other meetings and events where administrative support is needed, including travel, lodging, food, venue, and materials.
- Under direction of the Executive Director, manages and executes the daily financial operations of the organization, including financial record-keeping, basic bookkeeping duties (paying bills, coding expenses and deposits, making basic entries to QuickBooks), depositing checks, and collecting receipts.
- Serves as the key liaison to the external accountant in order to ensure proper management of finances and reporting.
- Monitors the annual budget with the Executive Director and works with accountant to create budget reports.
- Coordinates the annual audit process with the Executive Director and auditors and assists with requests for financial records and information.
- Works with the Executive Director and the Finance Committee of the Board to create the annual budget.
- Manages administration of the 401(k) plan, health insurance, and other employee benefits.
- Tracks employee vacation, personal, and sick days.
- Assists Program and Fundraising departments with recruitment of interns.
- Assists the External Relations Director in maintaining contact relationship management database, including data entry, clean up, and reporting.
Fundraising and Development
- As needed, provides support to the External Relations Director in institutional and individual donor communications and follow-up, including maintaining updated records in the organizational database, supporting with mailings, preparing reports, and acknowledging receipt of awards.
- Assists with event, meeting, and travel logistics for donor meetings.
- Maintains frequent contact with staff and interns in other departments in order to integrate work activities. Also maintains contact with supervisor and interns within department in order to complete work assignments and to collaborate to produce work.
Organizational Communications and External Contacts
- Develops and maintains relationships with outside vendors.
- Maintains regular contact with board members.
Requirements (Experience and Education)
- Minimum 2 years experience in administrative/operational work and financial management, including bookkeeping, budgeting, and/or financial reporting.
- 1 or more years experience with databases strongly preferred.
- Strong writing, editing, and proofreading skills preferred.
- Experience in assisting or supporting director or executive-level management preferred.
- Some experience in social justice work and/or an understanding of the youth organizing landscape nationally preferred, including experience in one or more of the following fields: gender justice, reproductive health and justice, racial justice, leadership development, LGBTQ liberation, education, labor, and safety/anti-violence.
- Strong creative, problem-solving and critical thinking skills.
- The ability to balance consideration of Third Wave’s strategic plan with detail-oriented work.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, including effective and professional verbal and written communications with a diverse range of people.
- Self-motivated and a team player. A sense of humor and a constructive outlook are a plus.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Basic accounting skills and familiarity with QuickBooks a plus.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Third Wave is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from women, transgender and gender non-conforming individuals, people of color, queer, lesbian, gay, and bisexual individuals, and people with disabilities.
Interested applicants should send a resume, cover letter, and writing sample of no more than 3 pages to firstname.lastname@example.org. This position will remain open until filled; early applications are strongly encouraged.
Posted in: Job Postings
Written by: Third Wave Foundation